Discussion: june carter and carl smith scandalReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 20  |  Show  posts at a time

Posted Anonymously
june carter and carl smith scandal
May 22 2008, 9:38 AM EDT | Post edited: May 22 2008, 9:38 AM EDT
in walk the line, there is mention made of june disappointing fans with the goings on with carl. what did that mean? 19  out of 27 found this valuable. Do you?    
msrobzombie
msrobzombie
1. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
May 22 2008, 6:09 PM EDT | Post edited: May 22 2008, 6:09 PM EDT
It was because they got divorced......back then it wasen't considered "christian" if you got divorced. Once June divorced husband number 2 she was so ashamed, that she didn't even tell her parents till like a month later. 18  out of 25 found this valuable. Do you?    

slewfoot
2. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Aug 6 2009, 1:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 6 2009, 1:05 PM EDT
This was in reference to June and Carl Smith. They had divorced by this time and divorce was frowned upon by society at that time. They looked at a divorced womam as "Loose" and " Immoral". So...while in a store one day, one of these 'prim & proper' 'stuck-up' ,
'pillar of the community' 'christian' women ......walked up to JUNE and told her that she should be ashamed of herself, that divorce was immortal and marriage was 'forever' and that she was a disgrace and had hurt a lot of her friends and fans and that it was a wonder that her family even spoke to her.
JUNE.... being the *LADY* she always has been... just brushed it off ....outwardly. This was just a nosey old biddy, with nothing better to do ! Wonder what she would think of the world today !
Hope this helps.
12  out of 18 found this valuable. Do you?    

okiegirl42
3. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Aug 7 2009, 6:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 7 2009, 6:01 PM EDT
That is what happened in the movie makes you wonder how many times that happened in real life. Probably more than once. You are right during that era divorce was considered a disgrace. For some reason the woman was always to blaim. Never figured that one out. 8  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Aug 7 2009, 6:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 7 2009, 6:51 PM EDT
I bet it happened more than once too, especially when she had that long passage (and true) about why divorced women aren't doomed to hell. She even said people sometimes asked her how she can claim to be a Christian. Very sad. 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
mary-june
mary-june
5. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Sep 1 2010, 3:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2010, 3:36 AM EDT
well, they were famous!
I mean when someone like that get divorced, they were the 'sweethearts of country music'
So, the people were disappointed because the press made them look like the perfect couple, who had the perfect marriage
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
6. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Sep 1 2010, 6:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2010, 6:56 AM EDT
I feel for those that are in the public eye. They have problems like we do but the difference is everyone knows about it and of course all of the speculations and rumors. It is never what it seems. It was just a different day then. Back in the fifties when something happened like that it was the woman to blaim, so the public thought, but this day and age it is somewhat different. Men get in the news now for fooling around. Most people that could tell you what actually happened about Carl & June are gone now. We should just try to remember the happy stories. Heart aches are what honky tonk songs are made of especially back then. That is what Carl Smith sang about mostly. I wonder if they would be surprised that people are still talking about it? 1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
mary-june
mary-june
7. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Sep 1 2010, 8:35 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2010, 8:35 AM EDT
I mean after all that divorce brought us two great country couple:
Carl Smith and Goldie Hill
June Carter and Johnny Cash.
It is almost if it was meant to be
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Sep 1 2010, 12:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 1 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
That's one way to look at it. I did not know who Goldie Hill was until she married Carl Smith. She was not as popular on her own as the other three. She performed with her brothers and had one hit from someone elses song and turned it backwards. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
9. RE: RE : Carter juin et Carl Smith scandale
Sep 2 2010, 8:06 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 2 2010, 8:06 AM EDT
I see only one thing:Johnny and June were faithfull and together until their death!!!!A very vey long time together in spite of the "problems" of Johnny!Please,stop with that discussion about her divorce,and "SCANDAL"!!And now,the "people".Johnny and June were a splendid couple!!! 5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
10. RE: RE : Carter juin et Carl Smith scandale
Sep 3 2010, 2:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 3 2010, 2:42 AM EDT
"I see only one thing:Johnny and June were faithfull and together until their death!!!!A very vey long time together in spite of the "problems" of Johnny!Please,stop with that discussion about her divorce,and "SCANDAL"!!And now,the "people".Johnny and June were a splendid couple!!!"
Agreed.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
11. RE: RE : Carter juin et Carl Smith scandale
Sep 3 2010, 5:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 3 2010, 5:30 AM EDT
That is very true. It is all water under the bridge. They survied it all. My hat is off to you-John & June. Rest in peace. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
12. RE: RE : Carter juin et Carl Smith scandale
Sep 4 2010, 9:06 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 4 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
"That is very true. It is all water under the bridge. They survied it all. My hat is off to you-John & June. Rest in peace."
yes, it is very stranga that they survived while they were followed everywhere.
One thing why I like them so much
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

RickyCuster
13. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Nov 28 2011, 1:20 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 28 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Goldie had more than one hit. She also had at least three others with Justin Tubb and Red Sovine. Her solo hit was an answer song. It was common in the 50s to answer a popular male song with the woman's point of view. Kitty Wells became famous by doing answer songs as well. Would you say the same thing about her? And how many hits did June have before she met Johnny? I'm sorry, not trying to diss June, but Goldie was just as big a star as she was at the time. 4  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

slewfoot
14. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Nov 28 2011, 6:57 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 28 2011, 6:57 PM EST
No, I strongly disagree. Goldie was never as big a star as June was ! June had been performing since the age of 10 and was well known long before anyone ever heard of Goldie Hill. Goldie had a couple short years of performing with her brother ..'Tommy' before meeting Justin Tubb or Red Sovine BUT was not well known ! June had many years of performing before there ever was a *Johnny and June*. She never did plan on being just a 'singer' of 3 or 4 songs but instead... what she was most noted for...a comediane ! She traveled many long road tours performing as such and could play any string instrument you put in her hands ! June had been to New York studying to be an actress, had been to California and had parts in movies. She did road tours with Elvis, Jerry Lee, & many others. Performed with Earnest Tubb, Roy Acuff , Hank Snow and Hank Williams Sr. I could go on and on about all the things JUNE did but there is no need. You just need to do a little studying. Goldie Hill barely ever got out of the hills of Tennessee so to speak.. until she married Carl Smith. June had many, many comedy routines she performed many, many times and songs she sang from the age of 6 & 7 in front of audiences from the Mexico border to New York, from the mountains of Virginia to California and back to Tennessee. Sorry ..not trying to diss Goldie, but am letting you know that you don't know what you think you know. I suggest you get urself a little book learnin' a'fore you make such statements !...You just might learn something ! 4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

RickyCuster
15. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Nov 29 2011, 6:16 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2011, 6:16 AM EST
I'm well aware of June's accomplishments, but I thought we were talking about hit records, and June only had one (#9 in 1949 with Homer and Jethro) before she met Johnny. It's just not fair (or correct) to dismiss Goldie as just a backwoods hillbilly who never did anything before she married Carl Smith. All but one of her 5 hits were before she married Carl, and she pretty much retired after that. She is widely credited as helping set the standard (along with Kitty Wells) for later women in Country Music. June was indeed an accomplished comedienne and musician, but I don't think she ever claimed to be a great vocalist. Goldie was as good as, or maybe better than, any of her contemporaries vocally. Dismissing her (or anyone) as "just a singer" because that's what she excelled at is a little condescending. My point was that she had a strong music career on her own before she married Carl. "I Let The Stars Get In My Eyes" was #1 in 1953, she married Carl in 1957. She deserves more credit than she's being given here. 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

juinbleu
16. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Dec 1 2011, 4:41 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2011, 4:41 PM EST
I think June was one of the best entertainers of country music before and after marriage to Johnny, but not the best vocalist. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who could beat her stage presence, and homespun humor. Personally, I'd rather hear her voice over any others. She's not only my favorite entertainer but she's my favorite singer. Her voice is homey to me. It sounds like my grandmother could be singing it both in terms of accent and voice quality. And she was an amazing song writer. I think her star power would have been lasting without Johnny Cash simply because she was funny, she pursued it, and she was a Carter. Would she have achieved the same degree of stardom without Johnny Cash? Probably not. Would Johnny Cash have achieved as much as he did without June? Probably not.

About Goldie Hill, she wasn't the star that June was, and it is partly because she didn't put the same energy and years into it. Could she have touched June in the entertainment and song writing department, no. She could have been a Kitty Wells equal I'm sure had she invested the time.

I also don't think you could say that she was just as big as a star as June at the time simply because June had been around longer and her family was so well known. The Carters were the original stars of country music. It's pretty hard to compete with that, especially with such a short career. I don't mean any disrespect to Goldie. I don't resent her. I'm sure she was a lovely singer and contributed to country music. I have to take into account that Goldie tried to make a comeback and wasn't successful, which speaks something to her star power if her popularity had already dropped after only a decade. I think being married to Carl helped put her in the lasting public consciousness, but she was a public figure before she married Carl.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

RickyCuster
17. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Dec 5 2011, 3:43 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 5 2011, 3:43 PM EST
I'm judging their stardom by commercially successful records. Popularity in the music field always translates into hit records. If, that is, the person is a recording artist and June certainly was. As well known as her family was, the sisters never had a hit until they teamed with Johnny. They weren't the original group, as I'm sure you know. None could touch the Carter Sisters for harmony, but Anita was the only one who had any hits during that time. (She had one of the best voices Country has ever seen, by the way). Goldie's second release garnered the top position, making her only the second woman in Country Music to reach number one. That's nothing to sneeze at. If June was a bigger star, then why wasn't it her that did so? Or even first? She was releasing records at the same time. Goldie's short career seems to have been by choice since she retired shortly after marrying Carl. As for her failed comeback, bigger stars than she have had retired and later failed at comebacks. So I'm not sure how much that says about her initial popularity. The music business is very fickle (then as well as now) and comebacks are often impossible. And, thank you for acknowledging that she was a public figure before Carl. No one else on here seems willing to do so. That's what prompted me to say something in the first place. It was suggested that she was a nobody who just stole someone else's hit, until she married Carl. I mean, let's be fair about it and give the woman the credit she deserves. Popularity-wise it still seems like a wash to me. 4  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

juinbleu
18. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Dec 6 2011, 12:41 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 6 2011, 12:55 PM EST
I don't know if I would consider how big their stardom was then or now based solely on one song going number one. I'm not saying Goldie falls in this category, but there have been a lot of one hit wonders. Although if we're talking records, winning 3 grammys for two albums in your 70s is nothing to sneeze at either and neither is having written a number one song. If you're judging who the bigger star was based soley on voice quality then I admit June's voice isn't everyone's cup of tea even though she's some people's, which I think makes the fact that she did as much successful recording as she did all the more impressive. That's a gutsy woman, who deserves credit, that can sing with people like Hank, Elvis, etc. knowing her voice isn't on parr with say Loretta Lynn. I think what has other June fans upset is that you can't base how big a music star is or was on voice alone or having a couple hits. I'd guess if you took a poll, June would be the more well-known out of the two and have more lasting fans, although I guess you're not talking about who has more accomplishments and popularity at the present time.

I would agree with you that Goldie wasn't given as much credit as she deserves in that she certainly had her heydey.

I'd say what most of it really boils downs to is personal taste and a person's favorite songs aren't always chart toppers. People all have their favorite stars. I disagree that popularity in music always translates hits. Sometimes popularity is based on the musician being well-known and loved. I think June falls in this category.
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

barronpilgrim
19. RE: june carter and carl smith scandal
Oct 18 2013, 6:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
"That's one way to look at it. I did not know who Goldie Hill was until she married Carl Smith. She was not as popular on her own as the other three. She performed with her brothers and had one hit from someone elses song and turned it backwards. "
as a boy I remember watching the country music shows on tv black and white of course and goldie hill was a fabulous looking lady like merilyn Monroe of the day, june was a funny likeable personality. I always wondered if goldie broke them up or if carl was seeing her before the breakup.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)